Assignment: Global Healthcare Comparison Matrix and Narrative Statement
If you talk about a possible poor health outcome, do you believe that outcome will occur? Do you believe eye contact and personal contact should be avoided?
You would have a difficult time practicing as a nurse if you believed these to be true. But they are very real beliefs in some cultures.
Differences in cultural beliefs, subcultures, religion, ethnic customs, dietary customs, language, and a host of other factors contribute to the complex environment that surrounds global healthcare issues. Failure to understand and account for these differences can create a gulf between practitioners and the public they serve.
In this Assignment, you will examine a global health issue and consider the approach to this issue by the United States and by one other country.
- Review the World Health Organization’s (WHO) global health agenda and select one global health issue to focus on for this Assignment.
- Select at least one additional country to compare to the U.S. for this Assignment.
- Reflect on how the global health issue you selected is approached in the U.S. and in the additional country you selected.
- Review and download the Global Health Comparison Matrix provided in the Resources.
The Assignment: (1- to 2-page Global Health Comparison Matrix; 1-page Plan for Social Change)
Part 1: Global Health Comparison Matrix
Focusing on the country you selected and the U.S., complete the Global Health Comparison Matrix. Be sure to address the following:
- Consider the U.S. national/federal health policies that have been adapted for the global health issue you selected from the WHO global health agenda. Compare these policies to the additional country you selected for study.
- Explain the strengths and weaknesses of each policy.
- Explain how the social determinants of health may impact the global health issue you selected. Be specific and provide examples.
- Using the WHO’s Organization’s global health agenda as well as the results of your own research, analyze how each country’s government addresses cost, quality, and access to the global health issue selected.
- Explain how the health policy you selected might impact the health of the global population. Be specific and provide examples.
- Explain how the health policy you selected might impact the role of the nurse in each country.
- Explain how global health issues impact local healthcare organizations and policies in both countries. Be specific and provide examples.
Part 2: A Plan for Social Change
Reflect on the global health policy comparison and analysis you conducted in Part 1 of the Assignment and the impact that global health issues may have on the world, the U.S., your community, as well as your practice as a nurse leader.
In a 1-page response, create a plan for social change that incorporates a global perspective or lens into your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how you would advocate for the incorporation of a global perspective or lens into your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how the incorporation of a global perspective or lens might impact your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how the incorporation of a global perspective or lens into your local practice as a nurse leader represents and contributes to social change. Be specific and provide examples.