Write detailed notes about each article?
The articles includes 8 readings which are listed below:
Please make sure that you write detailed notes about each article, what it’s about, the importance, main focus and what the author shows and focuses on, etc. Also, make sure that the notes corresponds to the correct reading and please show an indication of which notes goes to which articles. Preferably, write the notes under each article! All of the links to each article are listed after the title below.
The context and implications of the current climate crisis.
1) Cox, Paul and Stan Cox, “Natural Disasters Are Less Natural than You Think” (Sapiens, 27 Sept, 2016); [6 ½ pgs.] https://www.sapiens.org/culture/natural-disaster-less-natural-than-you-think/
2) Riley, Tess, “Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions, study says” (The Guardian, 10 July, 2017) [1 ½ pgs.] https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-companies-investors-responsible-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change
3) (video & transcript) “Michael Mann: We Are Even Closer to Climate Disaster Than IPCC Predicts” [Suggestion: Focus on the first 8 minutes] (The Real News Network, 10 Oct, 2018) [3 pgs.] [18 mins.] https://therealnews.com/stories/michael-mann-we-are-even-closer-to-climate-disaster-than-ipcc-predicts
4) Molina, Mario, Veerabhadran Ramanathan, and Durwood Zaelke, “Climate report understates threat” (Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 9 Oct, 2018); [2 pgs.] https://thebulletin.org/2018/10/climate-report-understates-threat/
Environmental racism: e.g., what areas are more prone to hurricane disasters and how are the populations in those areas treated
5) (video & transcript) “Inequality and the Environment: In places where the income gap is greatest, the environment is more degraded for everyone [An interview with James Boyce] (The Real News Network, 25 Feb., 2013); [11:30] https://therealnews.com/stories/jboyce0225-pt-
6) Dorsey, Michael K., “Do toxic dumps in Puerto Rico portend the next Flint tragedy?” (Orlando Sentinel, 10 May, 2016); https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ed-puerto-rico-is-next-flint-michigan-051016-20160509-story.htm
7) Sturgis, Sue, “Recent Disasters Reveal Racial Discrimination in FEMA Aid Process” (Truthout, 1 Oct, 2018)https://truthout.org/articles/recent-disasters-reveal-racial-discrimination-in-fema-aid-process/
8) Oliver Vélez, Denise, “Racism ties the treatment of New Orleans to the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, aka Trump’s Katrina” (Daily Kos, 5 Aug, 2018); https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/8/5/1784529/-Racism-ties-the-treatment-of-New-Orleans-to-the-Virgin-Islands-and-Puerto-Rico-aka-Trump-s-Katrina