Overview: For this assignment, due in Module Two, you will write a policy analysis memorandum that is a minimum of one page in length, excluding title and reference pages, that explains to the supervisor of your criminal justice agency the importance of incorporating an understanding of at least two criminological theories into policymaking. Explain how your understanding of the theories would help you begin to analyze policy for how it could be improved. This memorandum will help prepare you for your Milestone One submission in Module Three.
First, review the document Criminological Theories Defined as well as the different criminological theories that are described in your text Criminological Theory. Select two theories to complete this assignment. In your reading and in your research, pay particular attention to how criminological theories have been applied in the creation or revision of departmental policies.
Next, consider the following scenario: Your supervisor needs to be convinced of the need to incorporate criminological theory into the decisions that are made regarding departmental policy-making. Write this memo for a departmental policy from one of the three following departments: law enforcement, the courts, or corrections.
Use the Memorandum Template to complete the assignment. Address the following critical elements as they are reflected in the Sample Policy Memorandum.
Prompt: These critical elements appear as headings in the Memorandum Template and must be addressed:
1. Issue Presented: In a brief one-sentence question, summarize the importance of incorporating an understanding of at least two criminological theories into the decisions that are made regarding departmental policymaking.
2. Short Answer: Provide a short answer that summarizes the conclusion of the memorandum.
3. Statement of Facts: Describe how incorporating these two criminological theories will result in more effective policymaking.
4. Discussion: Using examples from your text and from your own research, briefly discuss at least one example of a departmental policy (from law enforcement, the courts, or corrections) that has effectively been revised to incorporate these two criminological theories.
5. Conclusion: Provide a conclusion based on the research you have done and the details you have gathered.
6. Recommendations: Recommend incorporating an understanding of at least two criminological theories into a departmental policy in one of the three following departments: law enforcement, the courts, or corrections.
Reference your textbook or other course readings to support your submission.