incident response ir revamp 3
Assignment 2: Incident Response (IR) Revamp
Imagine you have just taken over the manager position for your organizationâ€™s incident response team, after coming from another division in the company. Your first realization is that proper procedures, best practices, and sound technologies are not being utilized. You decide to revamp the teamâ€™s efforts.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Explicate the main efforts that would be included in the incident response efforts, including but not limited to personnel and team structure, tools and utilities, and proper procedures.
- Discuss in detail the role that an IDS / IPS would play in the IR efforts, and explain how these systems can assist in the event notification, determination, and escalation processes.
- Explain how the NIST SP800-61, Rev. 1 could assist the personnel in classifying incidents so each is identified appropriately and the proper incident-handling procedures are taken.
- Explain how the use of log management systems (e.g., Splunk) could be a legitimate and useful component of the IR efforts, and describe the potential issues that could arise if not utilized.5.Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Summarize the various types of disasters, response and recovery methods.
- Describe detection and decision-making capabilities in incident response.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in disaster recovery.
- Write clearly and concisely about disaster recovery topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.