The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Using Digital and Social Media for Brand Storytelling
After your review of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire case, prepare responses to the following questions:
1. How did the marketing campaign for Hunger Games: Catching Fire mark a departure from a traditional marketing campaign for a movie? What was innovative about the marketing approach adopted by Lionsgate?
2. A good transmedia storytelling campaign should be persistent, pervasive, participatory, and personalized. Critically evaluate the campaign based on these elements.
3. Discuss why Lionsgate focused on engaging existing fans rather than attracting new customers to the movie. Do you agree with the decision to not focus on other segments like older customers or male customers?
4. Carefully review all the creative and media tactics used in the campaign. What did Lionsgate do well and what could have been done better?
5. What elements of the Catching Fire campaign would you reuse to promote the subsequent movie, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1? What elements would you change?
6. To what extent can the transmedia storytelling approach be used for marketing non-entertainment products? What contextual factors would determine the applicability and effectiveness of this approach?