https://premiergradetutors.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/premiergradetutors-logo-300x71.png 0 0 Joseph https://premiergradetutors.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/premiergradetutors-logo-300x71.png Joseph2021-02-27 15:08:042021-02-27 15:08:04Antipsychotic Medications and the Treatment of Psychotic Disorders
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Antipsychotic Medications and the Treatment of Psychotic Disorders
For this Assignment, review the Learning Resources. Reflect on the development of drugs to treat psychosis over time. Consider the side effects of antipsychotics and their interactions with neurotransmitter function. Explore the ethical concerns and challenges of treating psychotic disorders. Develop a presentation of a client who would benefit from antipsychotic medications.
In a 3- to 5-page APA-formatted paper, include the following:
- An overview of the major developments in the treatment of psychosis including major drug classes
- An explanation of three severe side effects of antipsychotic medications and potential alternative treatments
- An explanation of the neurotransmitters involved with and affected by these medications
- An explanation of the ethical concerns related to the treatment of psychotic disorders and how you would address them
- An explanation of the challenges counselors face in treating psychotic disorders and how you would address them
- An original case presentation illustrating a client that would benefit from antipsychotic medications and a brief explanation of an appropriate treatment plan
- Perry, P. J., Alexander, B., Liskow, B. I., & DeVane, C. L. (2007). Psychotropic drug handbook (8th ed.). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Chapter 1, “Antipsychotics” (pp. 1–139)
- Chapter 9, “Electroconvulsive Therapy” (pp. 506–547)
- Preston, J. D., O’Neal, J. H., & Talaga, M. C. (2017). Handbook of clinical psychopharmacology for therapists (8th ed.). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Chapter 11, “Psychotic Disorders” (pp. 129-138)
- Chapter 19, “Antipsychotic Medications” (pp. 227-238)
- Lieberman, J. A., Stroup, T. S., McEvoy, J. P., Swartz, M. S., Rosenheck, R. A., Perkins, D. O., … Hsiao, J. K. (2005). Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia. New England Journal of Medicine, 353(12), 1209–1223. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.