In this discussion, you will practice summary and response writing by sharing your analysis of two essays with your classmates. Before you post to the discussion, carefully and thoroughly read the following articles from The Prentice Hall Essential Guide for College Writers. These essays are informal narrations of personal experience, yet they differ in style and subject:
- “The Struggle to Be an All-American Girl,” page 19.
- “How Male and Female Students Use Language Differently,” page 191.
Referring to specific passages in each essay, write a detailed, expansive post in which you:
- State the thesis or main idea of each essay.
- Compare the two essays in structure and style by considering the following:
- What do you notice about the way each essay begins and concludes, the order of the paragraphs, and the vocabulary used?